There were exciting and historic developments at school in the 1950s and 1960s.
A North School pupil found an Iron Age urn in 1947 which turned out to be the largest of its kind known. Ten years later, a fossilised fish was found by another student which was discovered to be a million years old. At the end of the 1960s, a piece of the moon was handed round school, brought in by a pupil whose father had connections at NASA.
A strange event happened in 1955 when a monkey, sitting on the playground wall, scratched two children.
John Bezzant became head of the junior school in 1954 taking over from Sidney Hinde who had joined in 1950. Mr Bezzant reorganised the school into new houses: Castle, Priory, Abbeygate and Charter.
Miss Weatherall, Miss Kernan and Mrs Flood led in the infants, until Mrs Flood’s retirement in 1965. At this time, the separate junior and infant departments were brought together as one school under the leadership of John Bezzant.